Saturday 14 August 2010

the morning after

Yesterday, my best friend woke up a Miss and fell asleep a Mrs.

She floated down the aisle, spoke her vows with assured confidence, serenely signed her certification and then boogied like a wild cat, sporting a smile to rival the Cheshire's grin.

What a happy lady!


Today, I woke up sore-footed (I stubbed my toe), achey-legged (too much funky dancing) and with a strange sense of second-hand excitement. I'm excited for their new life together, excited for their happiness, excited for their future, and (perhaps a bit selfishly) trying to work out how I might fit into it...

Then I saw my beautiful German friend for the entire day, celebrating her quarter-century birthday a week prematurely. I love her, but I hate that she inconveniently lives in an entirely different country. Glad that it is not a different hemisphere, continent or side-of-the-world, but still, it's a bit difficult to pop over for a cup of tea and a large slice of cake.

I also watched my beautiful grown-up little sort-of-sister dance an incredible solo with grace and presence far beyond her years, which sent shivers down my back and tears down my face. Who let her grow up?!

And now I'm trying to compose myself, as the next stage of my life kicks off tomorrow. The cars are primed and ready to go - their seams aching to burst and suspension longing to groan under the weight and volume of My Belongings. (moving house begins...)

I am excited about this next stage.

Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment